Tuesday 2 November 2010

Task 2 - RSA project/research mapping

TASK 2 - Take a scenario of your chosen Design Project A and show how one observation or idea might be developed through a research process or series of questions. This will take the form of a sequence of images (storyboard) and/or line.



These are my mapping and my scenario for the RSA project. I hope you understand what I'm planning to do, but if you don't please read the following information:
My next tasks are: - finding if there is any Secondary School associated with this project, trying to go there, see which subject covers the Design Area, see what they've been doing in that subject, talk to the students about design to see how aware they are about what design is all about, find out what could I add that would make them understand a little bit more about design and motivate them.



I decided to choose the RSA project “Design - my favourite subject” for my brief. The issue is, first of all, frame and make clear what Design is, as the concept itself is very broad, so I decided to divide it into disciplines and choose one as my main subject.





Issues/questions which arose from the mind mapping process
1) What do students, in Secondary school, learn about Design?
2) Who are the parties involved? ie- The teachers, the students, the media...
3) I am a designer. What is that for me? What do I think design is?
4) As a student, what made me feel interested and choose design for my career?

Primary research
1) A case study in one Secondary School - Go to one Secondary School
2) See what is the subject in Secondary School that contains Design
3) Find out in which Design discipline do they approach.
4) Talk with the teacher(s) of this subject and find out more about the program
5) Perform a mapping with the students about Design to see what’s their idea about DESIGN.

Desktop/secondary
1) Research the official programs that schools follow to teach this subject.
2) Research methods of teaching that the school follows.
3) What are other ways of teaching and approach students. Like TV, workshops, contests?

Framing the context of my project and user scenario
1) Who is the target audience? STUDENTS AND TEACHERS in Secondary School
2) Once found the content of the subject that approaches design, start to visualise possible solutions and new ways of engaging students with this subject: DESIGN.
3) Encourage students about Design by doing interesting projects and encourage teachers to customise teaching, breaking with the conservative thinking and to be more pro-active and more innovative.

One good example of something that was made in a Primary School: "Green Day". It was a brief given by CABE to a primary school. Watch the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment